The New Way To Recruit In The Trades
Contractor Evolution • 56m
When it comes to solving business problems there will always be hundreds of theoretical or formulaic sounding answers floating around out there.
There is certainly value in these more textbook concepts, but one of the best ways we entrepreneurs learn is by simply listening to how other entrepreneurs have solved the same problem.
The problem we’re going to dissect in today's episode is recruiting and hiring one.
Today on the show we’re excited to have Brett Farrington, owner of Renova Exteriors and Holiday Spirit Lighting.
In the late summer and early fall of 2021, Brett was faced with a massive recruiting gap. His projections for the year's sales and production clearly showed he would need about 16 staff to get through his busy season and execute everything.
This created a pretty real “Oh Shit” moment for Brett because at the time Brett only had 4 people on the payroll. Now what's cool about this epiphany, and the steps he took thereafter, is his complete refusal to blame external factors or feel sorry for himself.
Brett faced a seemingly insurmountable problem and instead of comforting himself with the all-too-often used excuses (millennials suck, covid ruined the workforce, no one wants to work) he put his head down and got to work.
Now I don’t want to give away too many spoilers cuz I really want you to hear it from him, but some of the highlights for me were:
- The game plan that Brett came up with to eliminate the labor challenge he was facing
- How to methodically establish the #'s needed to run a successful recruiting strategy
- How Brett reverse engineered who he was trying to hire and how that played into the job ads descriptions
- The web and visual assets every contractor should create before running a recruiting campaign
- How Brett implemented a unique and highly effective incentivized employee referral system
- The mind-blowing results that Brett got by changing his recruiting tactics from ‘old school’ to ‘new school’
Up Next in Contractor Evolution
How to Implement a CRM Without Giving...
If you took a survey of contractors right after the implementation of their first CRM or Project Management tool, many of the responses you’d get would sound something like:
- That was awful
- My head nearly exploded
- Truly the worst 6 months of my life for me and my team
- I never want to go t...
Unlock Your Employees Full Potential
When people know and trust each other they’re more likely to collaborate together on important work, they’re more likely to be honest with each other when it counts, and your business will be better for it.
Your employees need to form deeper relationships than simply “someone I work with” in o...
5 Ways to Stay Out of Legal Trouble
You want to keep your A$$ out of trouble.
All ventures, big and small, face some form of a legal risk. Whether you realize it or not, the business of contracting is on the riskier end of the spectrum.
You put thousands of hours of work and millions of dollars every year into growing your compa...