When it comes to solving business problems there will always be hundreds of theoretical or formulaic sounding answers floating around out there.
There is certainly value in these more textbook concepts, but one of the best ways we entrepreneurs learn is by simply listening to how other entrepreneurs have solved the same problem.
The problem we’re going to dissect in today's episode is recruiting and hiring one.
Today on the show we’re excited to have Brett Farrington, owner of Renova Exteriors and Holiday Spirit Lighting.
In the late summer and early fall of 2021, Brett was faced with a massive recruiting gap. His projections for the year's sales and production clearly showed he would need about 16 staff to get through his busy season and execute everything.
This created a pretty real “Oh Shit” moment for Brett because at the time Brett only had 4 people on the payroll. Now what's cool about this epiphany, and the steps he took thereafter, is his complete refusal to blame external factors or feel sorry for himself.
Brett faced a seemingly insurmountable problem and instead of comforting himself with the all-too-often used excuses (millennials suck, covid ruined the workforce, no one wants to work) he put his head down and got to work.
Now I don’t want to give away too many spoilers cuz I really want you to hear it from him, but some of the highlights for me were:
- The game plan that Brett came up with to eliminate the labor challenge he was facing
- How to methodically establish the #'s needed to run a successful recruiting strategy
- How Brett reverse engineered who he was trying to hire and how that played into the job ads descriptions
- The web and visual assets every contractor should create before running a recruiting campaign
- How Brett implemented a unique and highly effective incentivized employee referral system
- The mind-blowing results that Brett got by changing his recruiting tactics from ‘old school’ to ‘new school’